Friday, June 11, 2004

Friday Five: In honor of my week with the "seniors" I thought I would do a special Friday Five. Feel free to follow along if you want.
Who is the oldest person you know?
A few days ago I wrote about Yardley, who is 103, but I don't know if I would say I "know" him. I think the oldest living person I know is Paul's grandmother who is 94.
Who is the wisest person you know/knew?
I think my grandfather (Papa) Ralph. He was smart in the intellectual sense, as well as insightful and perceptive. He always would have wonderful stories, stringing together contemporary events with seemingly (to me) unrelated historical occurrence to teach a lesson, demonstrate a trend, or simply show his intellect (not in a bragging sense). I saw this trait in several of the alumni I was with last week as well. As I told several of the alumni when they remarked that I must be so bored hanging out with them, "My friends only have 30 years of story, and you have 80 years of stories. Not to mention, your stories are a heck of a lot more interesting." I am very blessed to have had 4 grandparents who were/are wonderful roles models of wisdom, tzidaka (charity), tolerance, and education.
When are you "old"?
At one of the seminars on "the aging driver" during Reunions, a professor asked when you are an "older driver". He replied "15 years older than me". I would say old is close to 90 these days! To me, the expression implies substantially declined capacity, and nearing the end of life. The wonders of science, not just medicine at the end of life, but innovations that prevent/cure/treat lots of ailments throughout our lifetimes, are making old much later.
Would you attend your 60th college reunion?
Only if my classmates are going. I don't know that I will feel compelled to go back to Macalester to see the campus, but it would be wonderful to gather together with Hilary, Eva, Keeva, Jen, Sabina, Nathan and even Grimace (don't ask) when we are 82 years old!
Are you scared of dying?
I am scared of the process of dying, not the "being dead" God willing this will be in a very, very long time after a life filled with love, health, and happiness.

No comments: