Wednesday, June 09, 2004

Same Lady, Reminds Me of the Same Grandma, for Different Reason: As we were loading the buses at the end of the weekend, I was talking to Ruth. I was telling her what a wonderful time I had had with the group and that I was so appreciative of how accommodating and kind they were. I explained to her that several of my colleague were with groups that complained the whole time, threatened to withhold donations from MIT because of this or that, and were always making trouble. Ruth looked at me and said, "I have learned that I should always look up... and be positive. When someone comes up to me and complains that the bus is late, I tell them that I am having a marvelous time and am enjoying the sunshine as we wait. When someone says that the chicken had been sitting out too long at the lunch for all alumni, I let them know that I will listen to them when they have a BETTER idea of how to feed 3000 alumni at once. Kim, I don't listen to complaining. If their arm is broken, I would sit and cry with them...otherwise, I don't want to hear it." What a wonderful attitude and outlook on life. Not only do I try to do the same, I have had a wonderful role model in my grandmother who typifies optimism, looking on the bright side, and perseverance.

No comments: