Wednesday, June 09, 2004

So, to the stories. One of my favorites involves Yardley, from the MIT Class of 1922. Yes, you read correctly, he is 103 years old! He comes every year because he "just doesn't know if he will be around to come next year". He walks with a cane but gets himself around and is absolutely amazing. When someone was looking for a bathroom, he said "Go down this hall, turn left, and the door is on the right." He remembered this from some other year that he was in the venue! So, as I was walking back from an event one night, I ran into an alumnus from the Class of 1958 (we'll call him Fred). Fred was on campus for some events, even though his reunion year was last year. We stopped to chat and he asked if I knew Yardley. I said yes, and that I was so impressed by him. Fred told me the following story... Fred is a patent attorney, as was Yardley. When Fred saw Yardley on campus last year, he asked Yardely if he had heard about an important patent law decision that had been rendered by the Supreme Court. They talked about the case for a few minutes and Yardley asked Fred if he would mail him a copy of the decision. When Fred called a few days later to see if the article had arrived, Yardley requested a copy of the actual patent as well. After a few more days, Fred called Yardley, and Yardley had already read the article and the patent and proclaimed "I have read them both, and it is my brief that the Courts made the right decision." I don't think my mind is that sharp at 30! (and certainly could never understand the damn patent)

No comments: